Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Breastfeeding: Slowing Down to Catch Up

In honor of the last night of Worldwide Breastfeeding Week I thought I would share a recent, personal story.  A story in which I slowed my life down in order to gain perspective but ultimately gained so much more.

The Bear's first time holding The Bird! 
 For me, I found the path to breastfeeding both The Bird and The Bear to be relatively easy.  The beginning, for both, was wrought with all the trials you endure and eventually become familiar with the second time around: Latching, soreness, sitting for long stretches, pumping if needed, cosleeping if that's your thing, etc...
The Bird gave me some scares with trouble latching properly and slow weight gain  for about 2 weeks after birth... but, after about a month, we got it down.

The difference with my breastfeeding relationship with The Bird compared to that which I had with The Bear was that I had a 2 year old and a newborn AND would eventually be returning to a high-stress job.  I felt like our relationship was different from the beginning but chocked it up to starting a new relationship with a whole new being.  Only now can I see how not only was she a different baby but I was different too.

The Bear would nurse for what felt like hours and be content to just sleep in my arms blissfully.  He would often nurse on demand every hour even if it was just to have that bonding closeness with me.  I was a new mom and less expectations of me from my job.  He had my undivided attention and I loved every minute of it.

My relationship with The Bird was on the move from the beginning.  Often breastfeeding while standing, walking, making dinner, checking emails, answering phone calls and literally chasing The Bear!  She was/is a trooper. I believe, as a result of her life moving at a break-neck speed, she learned to quickly and efficiently eat and get on with her day.  There were only occasional times of falling asleep after nursing in my lap. Our snuggles were usually crashed by a wonderfully rowdy 2 year old!

A year went by...

Career developments drastically changed the course of my life.  I found myself home with The Bear and The Bird more often.  Summer meant I could be a stay-at-home mom for a while.

After these workplace changes I made some personal changes regarding my parenting style: less cell phone while nursing or eating a meal at the table, slow down and REALLY listen to what The Bear is saying and what The Bird is trying to say, say "no, not now" less often, and spend quality, unrushed time with both babes... separately.

Something unexpected happened.

One evening during our nightly, usually-hurried get the kids to bed routine, DaveBee and I realized that we WEREN'T hurrying.  At some point we both had started taking one child and doing this awesome, slow, calm routine with them.   DaveBee took The Bear and I took The Bird (mostly as a result of The Bird still learning the difference between thin paper-page books and cardboard-page books :/ and DaveBee lacking the milk-producing goods!) to proceed with reading books, singing songs and just a general daily check-in.

The Bird would calmly nurse for extended periods of time.  She would lay on my lap and read and snuggle and nurse while I sang or just talked to her.  She and I both had found our happy place.  I was not rushing, I was not preoccupied and I had nothing else to focus on except my baby girl... who had grown to be my beautiful little toddler.

The Bird and I at her 1st and The Bear's 3rd Princess and Pirate Birthday Party 

While I am not extremely proud to admit that my busy life (even during maternity leave...) was a hindrance to  my breastfeeding relationship with my darling cherub, I am extremely happy to report that we are now more connected than ever.  I foresee a lovely nursing and bonding relationship extending into her second year.

No comments:

Post a Comment