Monday, November 4, 2013

Sausage Kale Soup: Quick and Easy {Gluten Free}

I have eaten it. I have loved it. I needed to make it!

I googled the above recipe name, perused the various recipes, and came up with this winner.

My mom stopped by in rush hour traffic to try it, DaveBee wants it to enter our weekly rotation, and there is ONE small bowl left over.  This is a MUST make this week! Check it out:


Sausage Kale Soup

Ingredients
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion chopped
10 Small Potatoes chopped to about 1/2 inch pieces
2 - 32 oz. Boxes of Broth (chicken or vegetable, gluten free)
5-6 Italian Sausages (uncooked and gluten free)
1 Head of Kale chopped (or 3/4 bag of Trader Joe's organic cleaned and cut kale)
Red Pepper Flakes
Salt to taste

Directions
Saute 2/3 of chopped onion in olive oil at bottom of a dutch oven (can use a soup pot too!) on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes.


Add broth and potatoes.  Bring to boil then turn down to simmer.

Add red pepper flakes to pot.  Start light and you can always add more later if you want more of a kick.


While dutch oven simmers and soften potatoes, saute the rest of the onions and cook sausage in a separate frying pan.  When sausage is cooked, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

Add sausage and contents of frying pan (optional) to the pot.

Add chopped kale.  Add salt and red pepper flakes to taste.


Stir it up and simmer until dinner time!!

So, go and make it.  Tell me your variations. And impress your loved ones. 



2 comments:

  1. This is my 3rd attempt to post a comment. User error, my part. Anyway, I made this soup on Sunday. It was delicious! I can truthfully say, in all my years, I have never cooked with kale, probably because I didn't know what to do with it. Tonight, leftovers and I'm sure it will be just as good as it was the first time around. Thanks Em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I found it to be so easy to make. I have a butternut squash and creamy potato soup o should post or just make for you too!

      Delete