Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Musical Beds

As of 1 month ago Dave Bee and I had it all figured out...

A rare moment caught on film!


The Bear was sleeping 12 hours in his own bed in his new room.  We had just gently sleep-trained The Bird in her crib in her room after 13 months of co-sleeping with us. Nights were good...in fact, they were too good!

Over the last couple of weeks I can only describe what is happening as "musical beds" and no one is sleeping through the night!

Excerpt from last night's musical bed number:

7:30 - 9:00:     The Bear gets out of bed 1000 times after our regular bedtime routine.

11:00:             Dave Bee and I go to bed.

11:01:             The Bird wakes up momentarily screeching like a baby owl (that has been the noise as of late; quite shocking when it is out of the blue!).  We wait and listen, and that is all.

1:03-1:23:       The Bear sneaks his way up on our bed, in between us, and under the covers undetected until he clocks me in the forehead with his bee flashlight.  I contemplate letting him stay since he is so cozy and I am so tired until The Bird starts squawking again.  Most likely because The Bear passed by the two sleeping pups in the hallway and they inevitably both shook their ears loudly.  I carry The Bear and his bee flashlight back to bed and The Bird is silent again.

3:30-3:45:      The Bird wakes up crying and it escalates.  Dave Bee and I mumble to each other about whether he should try and put her back to sleep but this thought always pops into my head: "Well, she ate dinner at 6:30pm and now its 3:30am and it has been 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 100 hours since she last ate and must be starving!" I go in and nurse her on the guest bed where I usually fall back to sleep momentarily.  Only to wake up moments later wondering where the hell I am!  The Bird is asleep and I slip her back in the crib and crawl back to bed.

3:46:              The Bear is back!  We are too tired to have the exchange of words that would persuade a persevering three year old to go back to bed... again. His warm, squishy little body wins the sweet spot in the big bed.

6:00:             Dave Bee's alarm wakes he and The Bear up.  As they amble out to make coffee, the dogs shake their ears and The Bird awakens.  I roll out of bed and open the door to the sweetest sight.  The Bird standing in the morning light with a ginger-blonde, disheveled top pony tail which is now sticking out to the side and her steel blue eyes meet mine and the corners of her lips curl up as she says, "HI!" in her raspy morning voice... and the musical from the night before is all but forgotten.

What does musical beds look like at your house?



No comments:

Post a Comment