Sunday, July 28, 2013

Clear Your Mind... and your inbox. How to find the strength to UNSUBSCRIBE.

Photo Courtesy of DaveBee


It is something I have wanted to do for a while.  I felt like the job was insurmountable.

With every new email, ad, or newsletter that flooded one of my 3 email inboxes I would try my best stay on top of deleting them but somehow they just kept filling up!  Whether I had subscribed for them or had been added to some listserv a million years ago I felt like I was drowning in them.  In an effort to simplify my life and downsize the number of cell phones, emails, and, ultimately, all things technical I decided to... UNSUBSCRIBE. I did not want any of them anymore!  I was no longer afraid of what I would be missing.

Titanium jewelry sales (married 3.5 years ago), What to Expect When You're Expecting (ahem, Birdie is 14 mos old), tons of band updates from college era, Fry's, ProActive, Zulily, Southwest, Groupon, MeetUp, PiperLime.... and the list goes on and on.  Each time one would pop up on my email I would scroll to the bottom and click for the words in tiny print that held so much power:
unsubscribe.

After a doing this a few times I realized how easy it was.  While it may take a few annoying questions or steps (Are you sure you want to UNSUBSCRIBE? Tell us why you no longer want to hear from us.) it is so worth it.  I don't feel bogged down with constant phone reminders and ads telling me what I must try or buy.  I enjoy looking in my inbox for treasures that would usually be hidden amongst junk mail.

I did keep a few guilty pleasure subscriptions and there will be those random pop-ups here or there that I missed but, overall, I am not missing a thing.

What email subscriptions can you not live without?  If you share yours, I'll share mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment