Monday, October 14, 2013

Grilled Cheese, Tomato Soup and Spinach Salad: Simple Fall Feast {Gluten Free or Not!}

Soups have most definitely been on the menu in The Beehive lately.

Whether you are looking for a fresh dinner idea to add to your shopping list or simply need to be reminded of the soul-warming feelings a Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup conjure up here is the version I made. I know many gourmet recipes are at our fingertips but there is just something so reminiscent of comfort and youth when you bite into a tomato soup-soaked, melty cheddar cheese, and butter-toasted bread.

Read to the end to see my secret weapon for the recipe!

Grilled Cheese, Tomato Soup and Spinach Salad {Gluten Free}


Grilled Cheese Sandwich

2 Slices Bread {Gluten Free or not}
3-4 thick slices of Cheddar Cheese {enough to cover surface of the bread}
Butter {enough to coat the pan twice}
Onion slices (optional)

Coat a frying pan* on low-medium heat with generous amount of butter.  Place one slice of bread in pan and add sliced cheese. Add onion slices if you are adventurous! Place second slice of bread on top.  Cover with a lid.  My trick is to cook them low and slow so the bread doesn't burn.  Once the cheese starts to melt ever so slightly, add more butter and flip it. When the cheese is melted all the way through, IT'S DONE!

*Note: Use two different frying pans if making both gluten free and regular sandwiches so you don't cross contaminate.

Tomato Soup

I cheat with my soup and use Trader Joe's boxed soup and add Italian spices {rosemary, sage, oregano} and Parmesan cheese while I warm it up in a medium pot on low-medium heat.

Spinach Salad

Spinach {about half a cup per person}
Cranberries
Nuts {I used candied walnuts or roasted sunflower seeds}
Dressing {a cheese based dressing or a simple homemade vinaigrette will do} 

On each plate I add spinach then simply sprinkle cranberries and nuts and drizzle with a bit of dressing.  Add warm sandwich and cup of soup! 

 I like the cold, healthy addition of the salad juxtaposed with the hearty sandwich and soup!

My secret weapon to ensuring this meal is a success is...



The Bird right by my side {quite literally}.  We got a new and larger food preparation area and she enjoys hanging out right on top!  

This dinner is a big hit with The Bear and The Bird, by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment