Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Coconut Oil Salves

Looking for a sweet, natural night cap for relaxing sleep or just a calm hint of scent on your pulse points to get you through your day? Read on, my friends.

So,  I saw this recipe on FB and it had me at relaxation salve!  It was homemade, all-natural and looked easy enough to recreate!

 Coconut Lavender Relaxation Salve

And decided to give it a whirl...a couple times.

The first one I made I stayed close to the recipe with the exclusion of beeswax mostly because I couldn't find it.

It turned out dreamy and creamy and once you put it on you want to just curl up and pretend fall is here.



Then, The Bear gave me the idea to try and infuse my own with homegrown lavender and we also added his favorite smelling plant lemon geranium.

While his looks a bit more rustic and we only made a small amount (we did try and strain it!) the scent is to die for!  Recipe below.


Lavender Lemon Geranium Coconut Salve

2 tablespoons coconut oil
Handful of your favorite fragrant plants (make sure they are not poisonous to apply topically to skin!)

Melt coconut oil in a saucepan until clear on low. Finely chop up plants and add to pan.  Let all of the flavors and smells warmly meld together for about 30 minutes. Turn off heat.  Let cool slighty.  Pour contents of pan through a strainer to get bits of plant out.  Pour into a container with a lid!  Let solidify.

Note:  These are my first attempts and I would probably infuse more lavender or smelly plants next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment